Saturday, October 30, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

Alrighty, so it's my wonderful hubby's birthday on Monday! Because of how our schedules are we decided to have make the cake today and eat it tomorrow.
Now, it's always been my family's tradition for the birthday boy/girl to pick a 'design', if you will, for their cake. My brothers and I were always quite creative in coming up with cake ideas. Anything from a pipe organ, to a beehive, to a portrait of Abe Lincoln. And it appears that my husband is no less creative!
This year he told me he wanted a hill with a battered, old-looking gray tower, like something out of a fantasy novel.
When he told me that I thought to myself, "Okay, so why am I carrying on this tradition?!"
A battered castle tower on a hill. Hrmm.
I'm not going to go into the details of what all went into this cake. That would take a long time. But I will sum up:
I used 2 9x13 cakes and 3 mini round cakes. The 9x13's were devil's food cake and the tower is white cake.
I used a lot of fondant and a whole mess of butter-cream frosting. And by a whole mess I mean about 5 cups of it.
I made a HUGE mess, what with mixing color into the fondant, rolling the fondant on a powdered-sugar sprinkled counter, mixing up edible paints with clear vanilla and food coloring, and lots and lots of cake pieces and crumbs from carving the cake.
I spent a total of 8 hours on this cake. And yes, my whole entire body is aching right now.
But DH was really, really happy with the outcome, so I think that it was all worth it in the end. I think the whole thing looks like a mess, but hubby keeps assuring me that it's pretty much exactly what he wanted. So I give you a battered tower on a hill cake.



Also, DH thinks it's awesome that I messed up a little and accidentally made the tower look like a skull.
By the power of Grayskull!!

1 comment:

  1. Your tower has no windows...how will Rapunzel let down her hair?

    ReplyDelete