Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Asian Pork Tenderloin Salad



I know it's been a little while since I've posted, things have been quite busy at the start of this month, what with celebrating Erich's birthday and all. But now life is getting back to normal...hopefully.
This month we decided that we are going to eat more healthy, balanced meals. Erich would like to lose some weight and I would like to stay right where I'm at, so we are shooting for about 1500 calories a day for him and about 1200 a day for me. We also decided that we will have four 'cheat' days a month, where we will be allowed to eat some more indulgent foods. So we shall see how it goes.

So now for the food. I got this recipe out of one of my Taste of Home cookbooks, Simple & Delicious. I changed the recipe a bit, but not hugely. I also found a basic recipe for an Asian style dressing. Which I also changed.
The salad recipe called for 2 pkgs of 'Asian Crunch Salad Mix'. I couldn't find any of that, so I just substituted a bag of baby spinach and a bag of mixed greens. I also added some bean sprouts for some extra crunch.
The dressing was good, but if I ever make it again, I will use much less olive oil and more honey. I also used 1 tsp of ground ginger instead of fresh ginger.

Making the salad is super easy, you just slice the pork tenderloin and marinade it for 1 hour. Cook it and then toss it with the greens and apricot slices. It's that easy.


Asian Pork Tenderloin Salad

1 can (15 oz.) apricot halves
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. canola oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), thinly sliced
2 packages Asian crunch salad mix (I used spinach, mixed greens and bean sprouts)

Drain apricots, reserving 1/2 cup of juice; set apricots aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, ginger, garlic, mustard and reserved juice; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry pork for 4-5 minutes or until juices run clear. Prepare salad mixes according to package directions; top with apricots and pork.

Asian Dressing

1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbs + 2 tsp rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbs. + 1.5 tsp honey
2 Tbs water

Combine all ingredients and whisk.

No comments:

Post a Comment