Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sauteed Veggies with Rice


I had quite the busy day today, what with running errands all over town and then randomly deciding to reorganize my entire pantry, which was a lot of fun, but took a while.
So when it came time for dinner, I wanted to make something fast and easy. I had seen a recipe for vegetable saute on foodnetwork.com from Alton Brown's Good Eats. I didn't have everything his recipe called for, so I created my own version of it. It was very, very good and really simple. This ensemble of rice and veggies is great because you can fix the veggies in the same time it takes for your rice to cook. What's that quote from the A-team? "I love it when a plan comes together." Amen.

My version of Alton Brown's Vegetable Saute

4 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
1 carrot, cut in 1/4 inch rounds
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Pinch pepper
About 4-5 ounces trimmed fresh green beans
1/4 head green cabbage, thinly shredded
1/2 med. zucchini, shredded
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
pinch of dried mint leaves

Place green beans in a microwave safe bowl, add about 3 Tbsp. water, cover and microwave for about 3 minutes.
Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Once oil starts to shimmer, add the garlic, ginger, carrots, and salt and pepper. Saute for 4 minutes.
Add the cabbage and saute for 1 minute.
Add the green beans, saute 1 minute.
Add the zucchini and stir.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegars.
Serve with hot rice and garnish with a sprinkle of mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment