Sunday, October 10, 2010

Country VII: GERMANY!!!!

At last we come to the amazing country of Germany. My favorite country in the world. I got to live there for 4 years while growing up and I miss it every single day.
I decided to make Jaegerschnitzel, just because I haven't had it in a very long time. There are many other traditional German recipes besides the stereotyped Schnitzel and Bratwurst. But I went with Schnitzel, for though it is cliche, it is quite delicious. I also made Spaetzle. I was very excited to make this, because I had recently purchased one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3128-Spaetzle-Maker/dp/B00004UE89/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286758310&sr=8-1
And let me tell you, it is a beautiful invention. Worked like a charm; I was so excited I did a happy dance right there in my kitchen.
I must apologize as well, for I had my folks over for dinner, so busied myself talking to them while I was cooking, instead of take a bunch of pictures. :( But if you make for yourself you will get to see the whole process, right?
And I highly recommend making both these recipes. They are both very simple and easy and quick, and most importantly yummilicious. Not very healthy though, so you have been warned. But some things in live are just worth a few extra calories.
So the spaetzle you simply mix up the dough, use your handy spaetzle maker (or if you don't have one, squeeze the dough in batches through the holes of a colander), boil it for about 10 seconds, then fry it in a pan with lots of butter. Done.
The Schnitzel, you coat thin pork cutlets with  flour, beaten egg, and bread crumbs, then pan fry that in about 1/4 inch of oil. Using the same pan, mix up your mushroom gravy. Wham bam, you're ready to eat! Just a note, schnitzel is traditionally made with veal cutlets, but veal can be extremely hard to find, especially at anything close to a reasonable price, and it's just as good made with pork cutlets.
This is also a super cheap meal to make if you're using pork. I made dinner for 4 and I would estimate the total cost to be around $8.
So here is a tempting picture, and go make this!!

Jaegerschnitzel
4 pork cutlets, pounded to 1/4 inch thin
1-2 cups flour
3 eggs, beaten
1-2 cups plain bread crumbs
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1Tbsp. flour
oil
butter

Put the flour, bread crumbs, and eggs into three separate shallow dishes (pie pans work well) and dredge the pork cutlets first in the flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. Set aside.
Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a pan of medium to medium high heat and pan fry the cutlets two at a time to avoid crowded. If you crowd the pan, the cutlets won't crisp up as nicely.
After all the cutlets have been cooked, put them in a 200 degree oven to keep warm.
Drain the oil from the pan, leaving about 2 Tbsp. Add the mushrooms with a pat of butter and cook about 5 minutes, until they start to wilt. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to get up the browned bits. Return to heat. Add 1 Tbsp flour and whisk. Cook until the mixture starts to look a little bronzed. Whisk in the beef stock and cream. Turn the heat to high and reduce to desired thickness.

Spaetzle (I doubled this recipe for 4 people)

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, reduce heat and maintain a simmer.
Combine all ingredients. Place a colander (or a spaetzle maker) over the water and pour about 1/4 of the batter into the colander, and press through the holes with a spatula. When when the spaetzle float to the surface, remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining batter.
Melt a large pat of butter in a large, deep skillet and add spaetzle. Let it cook, stirring occasionally, till some of the pieces get crispy and golden brown. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment