Friday, October 22, 2010

Country XIII: Sweden


After searching the web for Swedish recipes, I have come to the conclusion that most people think that Swedes survive on a diet that consists solely of Swedish meatballs. Finally, after looking at probably 30 different meatball recipes, I found a recipe for a Swedish hash, or Pytt i Panna. Which made me happy, because I hate making meatballs. I changed the recipe I found a bit, but not a whole lot.

Besides a lot of dicing, this recipe is super easy. I cut the carrots into coins instead of dicing them, because I'm just wild and crazy like that. Then you dice up some onion, beef, parsnip and potatoes (I used 5 small red potatoes). The recipe said to cook the meat and the veggies separately, but I think not having to wash 4 different pans when I'm done eating, so I cooked it all together in one big skillet. Saute the onion  first though, to get in that nice caramelized flavor.

Cook all of it for about 10 minutes, then pour in a little beef stock (the recipe called for chicken stock, but I only had beef, and I figured, what goes better with beef than...beef?). I also added just a touch of half and half cream. Just because. Cook that until most of the liquid evaporates and season with salt and pepper. I used white pepper instead of black and it was delicious.

Serve it with some mustard (the recipe said to use Dijon, but all I had was good ol' Heinz yellow, still tasted great), pickled beets and a fried egg. These flavors all worked so great together it was quite amazing. DH and I voted this one a keeper recipe.



Pytt i Panna (Swedish Hash)

3 diced potatoes (I used 5 small red)
1 diced onion
1 diced carrot (I coined instead of diced)
1 diced parsnip
2 Tbsp. butter
3/4 lb beef, diced
2 eggs
1/4 cup chicken stock (I used beef)
Pickled beetroot
A strong mustard (I used Heinz yellow)
Salt and pepper

Cut beef into dices of about 1/2 inch squared.
Gently fry onions in butter until golden.
Fry potatoes, parsnip and carrot about 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat. (I just put the beef in with this and made the whole thing easier). Add a little chicken stock at the end, and let it boil in completely.
In a very hot pan, fry beef quickly until brown, but not well done.
Add the vegetables and onion and fry together for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with fried eggs, beetroot and a mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment