Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Arancini


What on earth are Arancini? They are amazing little bundles of rice and mozzarella cheese, coated in bread crumbs and fried. Yeah, that's right, maybe one of the best things ever.
Now, if you don't have any leftover rice in the fridge, these can take kind of a long time to make, but it's so worth it. Pretty simply to make, a little messy, and magnificently delicious. I served them with a simple caesar salad, and they complimented each other nicely.
I was also very excited because I was able to use my brand new wok to fry these babies up in. That's about as fusion as I get, frying Italian food in a Chinese wok. I'm just making leaps and bounds in my trendy-ness factor...
I liked using the wok, simply because they way they are shaped, you can use less oil to fry food in. And using my new spider skimmer I was able to drain a lot more oil of the arancini when they were done frying. Less oil means better for you, and these arancini need all the help they can get.
But we all know, really good cooks don't count the calories in their food. :D

Arancini

3 eggs
2 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/3 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup grated parmesan or romano
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I used about 1 Tbsp dried)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2-4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 3/8 inch cubes
1 cup dry bread crumbs
oil for frying

In a bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs. Stir in rice, butter, parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Roll into 1 1/2 in balls. Press a mozzarella cube into each and reshape. In a small bowl, beat remaining egg. Dip each ball into egg, then roll in bread crumbs. In a deep fat fryer or electric skillet (or wok!), heat oil to 375 degrees F. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment