Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hot Wings: Anchor Bar Style


I'm not a huge fan of hot and spicy food. Actually, I'm pretty much a complete and total wimp when it comes to hot food. If I'm going to eat wings, I prefer them to be of the honey bbq variety.
My husband is the complete opposite. He likes his wings to be practically on fire. So when I make wings, I usually have to find some middle ground. This recipe is pretty much perfect. Not so hot that your going to cry, but not exactly sweet either.

The only thing I really changed in this recipe was that I baked the wings at 450 degree F for about 10-12 minutes...I didn't really set a timer or anything. Then I turned on the broiler and broiled the wings until they were crispy. You can also fry them, but baking/broiling is healthier and just as crispy if you do it right. I also omitted the Tabasco sauce.
This recipe also calls 1/2 stick of margarine, specifically saying to not using butter....

I used 5 Tbs. of full fat, delicious, unsalted butter. Just a tip for y'all: if you want to be at least a half-decent cook, don't ever, ever, ever use margarine. Ever. Don't even buy that crap.

Now, I've never been to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, birthplace of the hot wings, but I have to say that these were pretty darn yummy. DH voted them the best wings he'd ever had. I declare this one a winner.

Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings

26-30 chicken wingettes (it is usually cheaper to buy whole wings and just cut them up yourself)
6 Tbsp Louisiana Hot Sauce
5 Tbs. butter, NOT that fake stuff called margarine
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
pepper to taste
1 to 2 tsp tabasco (optional)
Celery sticks
Blue cheese dressing

Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the butter is melted.
Fry the wings in 375 degree F oil until crispy and golden brown, OR bake at 450degrees F for about 10ish minutes, then broil till crispy.
Place the wings and the sauce in a large bowl and toss to coat.
Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment