Saturday, January 1, 2011

Beef Rice Bowls (I'm Finally Back!)

   Okay, so I'm finally back! Some of the madness of working for the USPS during the holidays has slowed down, so now I actually have time to cook again, which has improved my mood greatly.
   Today I wanted to keep it fairly simple, though, since I did have errands to run and I had to take down the holiday decorations down and what not. So I made a beef/rice/cabbage bowl thingy, inspired by a recipe I found on 'A Box of Kitchen' blog. I basically took her recipe and screwed it all up and made it my own, you know, like I usually do.

   It's a pretty simple concept, caramelize some beef cubes, saute some cabbage, steam some rice and fry, or poach (what the original recipe called for) some eggs. I fried the eggs for my version, since neither I or my hubby find runny egg yolk very appealing.

    This combination is pretty awesome, since you can use the same pan for the beef, cabbage and eggs. So just heat your skillet pretty hot, cook the beef. Remove. I added some sesame oil and a little water to the skillet and then sauteed the cabbage. Remove from the pan. Then fry up your eggs and your all ready. This can all be done in the time it takes to steam the rice.

   Then you layer the ingredients in a bowl, adding rice, and topping with the cabbage and beef, and then setting the egg right on top. Yum. The end.

   It's good to be back on here, and I hopefully will be updating much more often now that the holidays are over (thank the heavens!).


   Beef and Rice Bowls (Serves 3-4)

1/2 pound beef of your choice, cut into bite-sized cubes (I just used Round London Broil)
1/2 head green cabbage, roughly chopped
Sesame oil
Soy sauce
Salt
Pepper
Powdered Ginger
Eggs
Steamed rice

In a hot skillet, caramelize the beef cubes until fully cooked. Remove from pan. Add about 1 Tbs of sesame oil (more if desired) and about 3 Tbs. water to the hot skillet and add the cabbage. Season with salt, pepper and ginger to your taste. Cook this until the cabbage has wilted some, but still has some crunch to it. Remove from the pan. Fry the eggs.
Put the steamed white rice into bowls and top with the beef, cabbage and a fried egg. Serve with soy sauce.

1 comment: