Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kiwi Lime Granita


I love slushies. Especially fruit slushies. So it obviously can't get better than homemade fruit slush, right? Yeah, that's what I thought too.

I don't usually buy kiwis. I love kiwis, but I always seem to overlook them in the store. Don't ask me why, because I wouldn't be able to tell you. But for some odd reason the other day, I purchased a few just for the heck of it. They were extremely ripe, so I knew I needed to use them as soon as possible, so I started scouring the internet for recipes, because why would I just eat the kiwi fruit like a normal person when I could make something out of them?! That would just be silly.

It's been pretty warm here recently, so I've been wanting to make more summer-y, cool foods. So when I saw a recipe on Mom de Cuisine for kiwi slush that also had lime (I'm in love with lime and lemon; slightly obsessed, actually), I knew I'd found the perfect solution to almost over-ripe kiwis.

This recipe is incredibly easy, but rather time consuming, since it requires A LOT of waiting. The only change I made to this recipe was that I used 5 kiwis instead of 4. When it was finally ready to eat, it was oh my, so very, very refreshing and tangy. I will definitely be filing this recipe away with my other favorites!

Kiwi Lime Granita

4-5 kiwis, peeled and roughly chopped
3 limes, zested and juiced
3 cups water
1/2 cup honey

Bring water to a boil and stir in honey until dissolved. Remove from the heat, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Combine the kiwi, lime juice and zest in a food processor. Puree to desired consistency. If you don't want seeds in your granita, just pass the mixture through a fine strainer after pureeing.
Stir together kiwi mixture and cooled honey mixture. Pour into a large, rimmed glass dish. Freeze for 4-5 hours, stirring every 30 minutes, until the granita is the texture of a slightly too-frozen slushy. Scoop into a freezer safe container, or serve immediately. Will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment