Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jalapeno Cheddar Pretzels


Before you ask: Yes, these are better than Auntie Anne's pretzels. Of course, in my opinion making home-made pretzels that are better than mall pretzels is rather fantastically simple.

Ever since I had the great fortune to live in Germany and partake of a delicious hot pretzel from a street vendor on the Trier Walkplatz, I have been spoiled to American versions of the heavenly pretzel.
And unfortunately, I have yet to find a recipe that even comes close to the amazing-ness of the Trier street pretzel, but this recipe by Alton Brown is very delicious. His recipe, of course, is for plain pretzels with salt, but I decided to make them a little more... snazzy, if you will. So I used some shredded cheddar cheese, and I chopped up some pickled jalapeno slices and added them to the dough before setting it to rise. You can use as little or as much as you like, but I kept it in the moderate amount so that there would still be plenty of bites that were just plain, amazing, delicious, soft, chewy pretzelness.

These pretzels require a decent amount of time and effort, so be prepared for that. But also be prepared to greatly savor your time and labor!

Here be the link to the deliciousness:

Alton Brown's Soft Pretzels

No comments:

Post a Comment