Thursday, February 17, 2011

Borscht



Borscht. Quick, easy and healthy. What's not to like? I love beets and cabbage, and this is the perfect combination of those two foods. I got this recipe from "The Year in Food" blog. I cut the recipe in half, though, since I'm just cooking for two people.

Making is pretty much as simple as chop, simmer, eat. A word of caution, though. Beets have the ability to stain like you wouldn't believe. But don't worry, if you end up with pink hands after dicing the beets, you can use a raw potato to get the color off your skin. Raw potato also works well to get the stain out of a cutting board. The more you know....

Sorry about the awful picture. I'm getting quite sick of my deplorable camera, however I haven't been able to talk myself into spending $300+ for nice SLR camera. And I probably never will... I'm too much of a 'make do with what you have' sort of person!

And be sure to come back for my next post, cause I'm going to share another dessert recipe with you! This one is going to be slightly healthier than those brownies....

Borscht

(I cut this recipe in half to make about 3 servings)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
4 medium red beets, peeled and diced
1 large potato, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 cup fresh dill, minced, plus extra for garnish (I substituted in between 1/2 and 1 Tbs. dried dill)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 bay leaf
salt + pepper to taste
yogurt or sour cream for garnish (sour cream is my favorite)

In a large pot, warm 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the broth, water, beets, potato, carrots and bay leaf and cover. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked. Add the cabbage and the fresh dill and simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Turn off heat and add the vinegar. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Remove the bay leaf, ladle into bowls and finish with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, and a sprinkling of dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment